Friday, September 08, 2006

Paul’s Math Success Session 2

Ernest Ventura 5Feb05

Paul’s Math Success Session 2

It is my second time attending this session and I learned nothing new. Paul noted eight attributes on how to make it through a math class. Attitude (you can do it) was first on his list. I am an optimistic person and I believe I can. Second is enrolling in the right course. I think I was in the right ship with the right captain in Calc3 as well as now in Calc4. Third, he discussed about the importance of the first few days of class. I agree this is true since it is during the first week when you get to know the style of teaching of the instructor and other important matters that may never be mentioned in class again just like the huge mistake g^2 made on calc3 exam3 and the grading system revisions from the previous quarter. Fourth is about making sure the prerequisites are fully understood. I had been improving with this. While I usually get behind with the lessons in Calc3, I now find myself riding in the same boat with the rest of the class in calc4. Fifth is an incredible time commitment with eleven weeks of continuous effort. At least two hours a day, seven days a week, eleven weeks a quarter. Sixth is attendance (never miss a class). Here, I learned the brilliant equation from Paul, 1=2.5, That is, I day of absence is worth 2.5 days of lost information since in math, the current topic being covered reflects the preceding as well as the succeeding topics. I was never absent in Calc3 physically but sometimes I am absent. Not right now in Calc4. Next, he talked about the advantage of having a study buddy, and he also warned us to select the right people to hang out with. Lastly, he concluded by stating this phrase, “doing homework is not the same as studying”.

The 50-minute session was just not enough that we weren’t get into much detail on some of the topics that is included in the handout Paul gave us but we talked a little bit about how to do home works efficiently, studying and revising notes, reworking previously encountered problems, getting extra help, outlining material/sample problems, doing a short-term review about half hour or more once a week especially on weekends to accumulate all the information learned for that week.

Finally, all of the things he said are exactly what he said the first time I attended last quarter- nothing more, nothing less, word-for-word. Paul must have been conducting this session for years. I felt I was watching a replay of the first one I attended.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home